It’s Thanksgiving evening. Some of you may be out shopping for early Black Friday specials. Some may wait until tomorrow. However- my favorite shopping day is Saturday to support local businesses by “shopping small”
I put together a list of my favorite local shops here in the St. Louis area. Many of the locations offer online ordering and will ship it to you as well! Why do I love shopping small? To support local businesses, their employees, the local economy, to find unique & one of a kind items, to find something more special to suit the person I am gifting it to. There is a great feeling that comes with knowing you are helping to support local small busnesses that may not be able to have these huge doorbuster Black Friday events but instead may offer you coffee, tea, water, cookies & candies when you choose to shop with them. Or maybe a coupon to save on your next visit, a genuine thank you from the shop owner, meeting new people in your community and helping the owner and staff provide a good life for their family.
There are many reasons why shopping small is beneficial and wonderful so I put together my favorite top 10 places. If you can’t make it in Saturday-add it to your list for next time you are looking for some great and unique gifts! Just click on their name to visit their site.
- Sammy Soap– Located in Kirkwood, MO. This soap shop has an amazing story behind it and have been in business 3 years. We use their high end, top quality soaps on the regular. The have soaps, essential oils, oils and soaps for pets, amazingly cute and unique giftware for men and women including beard care items, garden items, dog collars, leashes, pallet art, tea towels, barware, childrens bibs, clothes, toys, you name it! All unique, all special and all organic!
- Mac’s Local Eats– Located in Dogtown, They are opening the market portion of their business Saturday! They have local farm raised beef, pork, poultry. Farm fresh eggs & yogurt. Summer Sausages, homemade salsas, granola, local honey, bread. Handmade pottery, soaps, books and more! All nestled in an adorable shop with the most friendly staff! You can also find my cookbook The Fresh Farmhouse Kitchen there as well!
- Supplement Superstores– Multiple locations in Missouri & Illinois. With everyone goal setting in January to get healthier and eat better, take their vitamins this is the place for you! Staffed with all NASM certified personal trainers (aka-they know what the heck they are taking about!) they can help you to reach your goals with free custom diet plans, supplements, protein bars, vitamins, essential oils, and more from the top brands and all are priced cheaper than you can find them online too! One of my favorite “gifts of health” to give someone is a Blender Bottle shaker cup with a protein bar and a gift card inside so they can go in and get exactly what they want based upon their goals.
- Fit-Flavors– With locations in Creve Coeur, Brentwood & Chesterfield, MO. This time of year the pounds seem easier than ever to pack on with meals, treats and cookies at every turn. Fit Flavors is a meal prep company that makes healthy prepared meals with the highest grade of food and quality. They offer meals for any time of day, sweet protein treats, snacks and now meal delivery within a 30 mile radius! The food and staff are top notch and are a great way to stay on track. A great gift idea is a pack of the “Fit Turtles” (my favorite!) paired with a gift card for the receiver to go in and choose some great meals that fit their goals.
- Dixie Grace Candle Company– Online Boutique. This is my absolute favorite candle companies ever! It’s all I burn in our house! They were in the St. Louis area then moved to the Kansas City area. The candles are hand poured, wood wick and the scents are spot on! They are priced great and ship so fast. The thing I love is that they are a very clean burning candle and every bit of the candle burns you’re not left if a “candle volcano” I call it. Where basically it burns the core of the candle then it’s trash. I have them on my list to shop with on Saturday to get some of the new holiday scents. If you follow me on Instagram you’ve often seen me (and even my husband) sing their praises for the scents and how awesome they are!
- Olive Ovation – Ladue, MO. I found this place about a year ago because I had some friends in town that were staying in our home and they went to a blow dry bar next door and stopped in to Olive Ovation and got me a thank you/hostess gift. They have an unbelievable selection of wine, olive oils, balsamic vinegars, salts, breads, meats, cheese, wine barware, and gifts for any foodie in your life. They offer gift packaging which is adorable! I am hooked on their oils. The quality is easy to taste. This place is the perfect stop for any foodie!
- Nayak Plastic Surgery & Avani Derm Spa– With locations in Frontenac & DesPeres, MO they offer anything and everything you can imagine! First- They hands down have the best staff and most impressive facility. My favorite procedures to get is an IPL which is a laser that lightly zaps your face and it brings any sun damage and age spots to the surface then they flake off in about 5-10 days. I’m not kidding guys- it’s a game changer! I get 1 per year. This makes a wonderful gift!! I also love the HydraFacial. It’s basically like a little vaccum wand that pushes solution into your skin and sucks all the bad junk out then at the end you get to see how dirty/grimey your skin was. It’s insane! I wash my face twice a day and take really good care of my skin and it still looked like dirty ditch water! haha. Check out their website for a full list of procedures they offer and guys–this makes a wonderful gift for your woman!
- Christophers Home Accents– Located in Kirkwood, MO. This is the place to go for simple to high end home accents and entertaining pieces. They have handmade cards, beautiful baskets, platters, patio items, stemware, kitchen items, aprons, candles, soaps, lotions, etc. This is one of the places that are a “go to” for hostess gifts for me when I have a party to attend. I always find something for anyone here because of the great options they offer.
- Dimvaloo– Ladue, MO. This is an active wear boutique to the max! This store is insanely impressive! It’s packed wall to wall, ceiling to floor with the top brands and cute styles any girl could dream of! They have shoes, bags, yoga accessories, socks, bands, leggings, shorts, skirts, tanks, long sleeve shirts. A beautiful and trendy line of “street chic” of clothing I call it. Pieces that are flattering and look great in the gym or to pair with jeans or a top to run around town. A gift idea would be a cute gym bag with a top and leggings wrapped inside. 🙂
- Down by the Station– Kirkwood, MO. Again a hardcore go to for me for the perfect gift for anyone! Located in a cute shop and in a train caboose (yes, you read that right- a train caboose!) they have massive amounts of variety of home decor, planning & organizing items, picnic wear, wine & beer accessories, baby toys, clothes & gifts, purses, jewelry, scarves, books, cards, candles, wax warmers, kitchen items..you name it- it’s here. The staff is so sweet and helpful and the prices are great!
That wraps up my top 10 local small businesses. I hope if anyone is stumped on the perfect gift or wants to find something more unique or personalized you will check out some of these above. I promise you’ll love them! If you have a favorite small local business you recommend, please comment below and show them some love!
Happy Thanksgiving weekend everyone!